THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, June 9, 2011

It's Raining Change! (in more ways than one)

Call me Frodo. The movie is Lord of the Rings III (Return of the King), near the last scene. Frodo is saying goodbye to his Hobbit buddies, about to sail off to live with elves and never see the mortal world again. He's also the only dry-eyed one in the group. Its not that Frodo isnt really sad about leaving, because he is. I think he will really miss his friends back home, and his family especially. Isnt a goodbye consistently harder for the ones left behind? It doesn't matter what kind of leaving behind is being done, if you're the one left. I'm not going to be gone forever, and my ship looks a lot more like an airplane, but there are parallels. I think Frodo cried some on the ride to his new home, even if there were elves there. So did I.

One last goodbye after another this month finally led to our departure through the Magic Portal Into Space (the quickly over, yet intrusive, full body scan). As we boarded our first tiny airplane to our Phoenix layover, I was trying to not explode with thoughts. They ranged from being kind of thirsty, to the knowledge that I will probably miss my little brother's high school graduation ceremony. And all in the name of adventure. Sometimes I wonder how much is worth sacrificing for a dream. My dog forgetting who I am? Missing literally years of my sister's life? Is it really worth the pain?

Luckily, there was a man in the seat right behind me who interrupted my thinking. He had at some point during today, decided that an entire sandwich-sized Ziploc full of change would be a good thing to have in a carry-on. Then he decided that carry-on belonged directly above my head. Well as I was staring at my coffee (Venti house brew, Coconut sweetener & nonfat milk thanksverymuch), there was a sudden onslaught of change falling onto my head! My row got a good laugh, and I think I stole half a buck.

But change is everywhere. Not just in my hair either. We are in for lots more changes before this month is through, and I can honestly say we are enjoying it. If there's one thing Jon & I are good at, its traveling together. So as sad as its been to say goodbye to our loved ones, we wake up each day ready for more. More stories, more experiences, more life. Tears, or no.

0 comments: