THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, June 19, 2011

What Time Is It Again?

I sat at the huge glass window, watching the lightning-filled sky over our plane to Ireland. I sent out my last goodbyes over text message as our last flight to our new life was delayed. I wasnt nervous as much as tired. I just wanted to leave already, and I knew there was a 6-hour flight ahead of me. We were finally boarded, only to taxi around for two hours. Luckily, we got seated by possibly the most annoying lady in the airport. She made the whole row (ours) take a picture together (while the seat-belt sign was on) and give each other our emails so we could later Facebook each other (I lied when it was my turn). Everyone in hearing range now knows extremely personal things about this lady, including every detail about her ex-husband and their divorce, and her very graphic 9-11 memories. Anyway, the 2-hr taxi and the 6-hr flight were awesome (when I had my headphones on High volume).


We finally landed in Dublin, Ireland, our new country. A random idea that formed one night on our tiny American kitchen floor after a dinner with good friends. A moonstruck dream come to reality in a few short months' time. The self-crazed lady, to her credit, was the first person to say, "Welcome Home!" to us when the plane landed. And it wasnt even raining! Well it rained later that day, but it was light so I guess here it doesnt count as rain. On a cool note, here they have "Dry Days" and every other day you can expect rain. And Dry doesnt mean Sun, just that the clouds wont drop their rains.

Our hosts, Phil & Betty, are really amazing! They have driven us around to so many cool places already, just to show us about town! They are so generous and kind. Not only do they cook three meals a day for us and let us live with them for an open-ended amount of time, they even forgive us when we butcher the foreign street names. Betty told me she will take us to tea in Clontarf Castle this week! So stoked! She said, "Americans love to have tea in a castle". Yes ma'am! We dont have them laying around in the States. Their castles here are like Starbucks there: one on every corner. (Side note: No Starbucks in Dublin, but she told me their coffee place 'Insomnia' is as plentiful and delicious as our beloved green mermaid. I will let you know).

So our first and second days have been amazing, but every once in awhile Ill catch myself in a thought and realize, "Woah. I totally live in Ireland." Which is pretty fantastic.

0 comments: